Hi mum, You are now 12 weeks pregnant, how are you? How is the world out there outside? I’m here at home, growing particularly fast, and I’m glad to tell you we’re close to the end of the first trimester.
Being 12 weeks pregnant, you are at the end of the third month, and by its end, the first phase of pregnancy ends, as the pregnancy begins to stabilize and the chances of miscarriage that frequently occur in the first period are reduced.
In most cases, it is assumed that the famous pregnancy symptoms that the mother suffers from during the first period of pregnancy. The initial growth of the fetus’s body parts completes and begins its actual movement this week, even if the mother does not feel it. It becomes more like a person now.
At 12 weeks pregnant, Your baby is about the size of LIME.
Length: 5.4 cm
- You are in the first trimester.
- You are in the third month.
- The remaining number of weeks: 28
- All parts of the fetus are developing now, the teeth have begun to form, and the bones will harden at this time, although the process of hardening the bones takes a long time.
- Your baby’s nails are now starting to develop.
- The baby’s outer ears have formed and are now visible on either side of his head.
- Your baby’s reproductive organs are developing, although differentiating the gender is still not possible now.
- Their hands, feet, and fingers are perfectly formed.
- The fetus’s blood circulation is fully functional, and the urinary system works for it as well.
- The internal organs continue to function, and the liver produces bile.
- The intestine that has grown into the umbilical cord begins to move into the fetus’s abdominal cavity.
- A fetus’s nerve cells multiply very quickly, and synapses are forming in his brain.
- The eye muscles move, and the mouth makes sucking movements.
During this period, it would make sense for your body to show some change again at the end of the first trimester of pregnancy. Common body changes during 12 weeks pregnant include weight gain, perhaps around 500 grams or a kilo.
Most importantly, the uterus is growing rapidly, and your doctor may already be able to feel it in the lower abdomen. Otherwise, you will continue to gain weight, and although your belly may not show that much, you will feel like your clothes have become tight.
12 weeks pregnant Belly size
There should be some accelerated growth in the abdomen, as your belly should appear in the twelfth week. Even if it isn’t obvious, your body will feel enlarged and fit uncomfortably with most of the clothes you own.
Even if your belly isn’t showing up yet, your pelvic bone may certainly feel heavier than it was before pregnancy.
12 Weeks Pregnant symptoms
Many symptoms occur on the body of a pregnant woman upon reaching 12 Weeks Pregnant, and these changes are as follows:
- Skin pigmentation results from hormonal changes that occur in the pregnant woman’s body during pregnancy, especially around the nipple. This is due to the increase in melanin. Still, all this will disappear after the completion of the pregnancy journey.
- Feeling of pain in the breasts.
- An increase in vaginal secretions protects the vaginal area from exposure to any injuries that may harm the pregnant woman and her fetus’s health.
- Suffering from headaches, and this is due to the low level of sugar.
- Less urination compared to the need to urinate more often in early pregnancy.
- Salivary secretions begin to increase.
- Excessive gases and bloating in the abdomen.
- Some bleeding, do not be afraid. This does not mean that you have had a miscarriage, but you should consult your doctor to reassure yourself.
- Exposure to dizziness and fatigue.
12 Weeks Pregnant Ultrasound
Every moment during pregnancy is exciting and fun. You’re curious how your little one grows. The 12th-week ultrasound is the last ultrasound of the first trimester, and you are sure to be excited to see how much your little one is growing. This ultrasound scan will tell you everything you need to know about your little one’s health and safety.
Why is an ultrasound scan at the twelfth week necessary?
Being 12 weeks pregnant is an important event because it marks the completion of the first trimester, and your doctor may recommend an ultrasound to check and evaluate the following:
- Help with knowing the number of fetuses during pregnancy, whether it is single, twin, or more.
- Help determine the duration of pregnancy when measuring the baby from crown to rump.
- Checking the baby’s heartbeat.
- Take a look at the child’s arms, legs, chest, and head and assess how well they are developing at an average pace.
- The doctor examines the fetus’ spine and checks for any abnormalities.
- To measure nuchal transparency, which is the fluid under the fetus’s skin at the back of the neck.
- Assessment of nuchal translucency helps establish any risk of chromosomal abnormalities.
- The doctor helps determine the health and position of the placenta.
What preparations can be taken for 12 weeks pregnant ultrasound?
You may feel nervous and wonder what will happen during the exam. The first and foremost thing you can do is prepare yourself psychologically for the examination and let go of any anxiety. The cool, slimy gel provides a feeling of discomfort, but try to be calm and relaxed.
You will be asked to drink at least half a liter of water an hour before the examination. The water pushes your uterus into a better position, and your doctor will be able to get a better view of the fetus. However, refrain from drinking too much water, as it may put unnecessary pressure on the bladder, and you may want to urinate.
How long does it take to have an ultrasound scan?
You will be asked to lie in a quiet, dimly lit room, and you will have your first look at the fetus. The entire scanning process during the 12th week of pregnancy may take about 15 to 30 minutes.
How is an ultrasound done At 12 weeks pregnant?
The doctor applies gel to your stomach area and moves the transducer over your abdomen. The image appears in black and white on the screen, and you can also ask your doctor to explain this to you. It is very normal to feel some pressure in the abdominal area, but it is not painful.
If you are overweight or if the uterus is too deep in the pelvis, your doctor may suggest a vaginal scan.
What can be seen on examination?
The following things can be seen about your little one on a 12th-week ultrasound scan:
- Placement of the mother’s placenta.
- Baby’s extremities and spine.
- The presence, length, or absence of the nasal bone of the fetus.
- Urinary bladder and fetal stomach.
- The blood circulation around the mother’s womb.
- Any defects or abnormalities in the fetus.
Your doctor can also detect a twin pregnancy using ultrasound during the twelfth week, which means that if you carry more than one baby, an ultrasound scan will help your doctor determine the same.
Can Down Syndrome be seen accurately At 12 weeks pregnant ultrasound?
Yes, if your baby has Down syndrome, it can be seen accurately on an ultrasound scan at the twelfth week. If the baby has this deformity, then there will be an increase in fluid accumulation in the nuchal fold area, which is located at the base of the fetus’s neck.
If your doctor suspects this deformity in your unborn baby, a nuchal translucency test may be performed. Babies with Down syndrome will have a thicker estimate compared to a normal fetus.
What if any abnormalities are found on examination?
The 12-week scan maybe your first scan to determine the development and growth of the fetus. However, this test also helps your doctor evaluate any abnormalities in the fetus.
If any defect or abnormality is discovered in your fetus, the case may be referred to a consultant fetal medicine. The consultant evaluates the diagnosis made by your doctor and may ask you to undergo investigations or other tests to confirm the abnormality occurrence.
Is this test a part of your routine pregnancy care?
Ultrasound scans are a great way to assess the growth and development of your fetus. These scans are low-cost, unfractionated, and less risky compared to the amount of information they provide you about your fetus, and you can get ultrasound pictures at the twelfth week as well. However, it is entirely up to the parents to consult whether they would like to have an ultrasound in the twelfth week.
Pregnancy Checklist at 12 Weeks Pregnant
You have completed the first trimester of pregnancy, which may have been painful and difficult for many. However, it reminds you that there is no regression from this moment on. This means that it is now your responsibility to keep and protect yourself and your baby. Your lifestyle choices will reflect on the little fetus, which is why you must take care of yourself above all else.
What to do,
Here are some things to do during the 12th week of pregnancy.
- Eat more often to maintain blood sugar. However, be careful not to overeat.
- Take care of your oral health significantly since your hormones may contribute to bleeding gums.
What not to do,
Here is a list of some of the things that should not be done at any pregnancy stage.
- Please do not smoke, as it may greatly increase the chances of a fetus’s respiratory problems.
- Please do not drink alcohol as it affects the growth of the brain and spinal cord cells.
- Do not try any slimming diets, such as starving yourself, as they may negatively affect the child.
- Avoid living in conditions harmful to public health, such as lack of ventilation or in very hot or very cold places.
- Avoid saunas or hot tubs because the body cannot sweat properly due to the increased blood supply and hormones. This means that the body cannot lose heat effectively and affects the child as the body temperature rises.
What should you buy,
Shopping at the end of the first trimester is generally no different from the last two months. However, it is essential to buy suitable shoes because uncomfortable shoes may increase headaches, interfere with your body’s balance, or even contribute to leg cramps and swollen feet.
You can buy good parenting books, comfy padded dresses, and some may even opt for nursing bras because they will come on hand soon. Stock up on healthy foods and snacks, and buy maternity clothes. Don’t forget to purchase the right oral hygiene products. Buy good products and moisturizers. Consult your doctor and buy the vitamins that will help you and your baby.
Nutrition at 12 Weeks Pregnant
At 12 Weeks Pregnant, Many women wonder about the healthy food for themselves and the fetus, and these foods are as follows:
1. vegetables and fruits:
Always choose between types of vegetables and fruits, as they provide you with many nutrients that your body needs, such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, and minerals.
Nuts such as walnuts and almonds contain a high nutritional value, as they contain healthy unsaturated fats that are beneficial to the body and at the same time do not cause you to gain weight due to the feeling of satiety they may cause.
Protein is one of the essential nutrients for a fetus. Because it helps to strengthen the bones and muscles of the fetus, and protein is widely available in white meat, especially chicken breast. Because it contains a large amount of protein, unlike hip, which includes a percentage of unhealthy fats.
4. high-fiber foods:
You should know that dietary fiber is essential during pregnancy. This is because it protects against the problem of constipation that afflicts most pregnant women. It facilitates bowel movement and improves its ability to digest food, thus reducing excretion in the end. The fibers are found in green leaves significantly and contain cellulosic fibers.
5. Stay away from sugars:
Doctors always advise pregnant women to stay away from sugars during pregnancy. The pregnant woman does not develop gestational diabetes and includes sugars, white flour, rice, and pasta and replaces all of that with flour, pasta, and rice. Because it contains an excellent percentage of wheat that is beneficial for your health and the health of the fetus.
6. Avoid salt:
Salt is one of the most harmful foods, especially during pregnancy. It causes bone diseases and fluid retention in the body, which ultimately leads to a pregnant woman having swollen hands and feet. Also, it harms the brain cells of either the pregnant woman or the fetus, so refrain from salted fish, pickles, and all foods containing a large percentage of salt.
7. Stay away from saturated fats:
It may cause a significant increase in weight, which may harm the health of the fetus. You may be exposed to a high level of cholesterol in the blood, which results in heart disease and clogged arteries. Replace it with healthy fats such as omega-3, olive oil, and coconut oil.
8. Eat folate:
One of the essential acids during pregnancy is folic acid. It has a remarkable ability to protect the fetus from congenital anomalies, so consult a doctor to determine the food sources rich in folate or folic acid.
9. Do not neglect calcium:
Calcium helps the bones of the fetus grow and strengthen it greatly, so eat a cup of milk daily to meet your daily calcium needs, and milk contains a protein called casein, which promotes the fetus’s health.
10. Eat iron-rich foods:
There are many foods rich in iron that protect you and your fetus from developing anemia or anemia.
Fish contain large amounts of protein, phosphorus, and important vitamins and minerals for the fetus, but choose types of fish that are low in mercury. Because an increase in its percentage may lead to atrophy of the brain cells for the fetus and you as well.
Exercises At 12 Weeks Pregnant
At 12 Weeks Pregnant, The best exercise is:
Pushing your baby through your pelvis and into the world requires not only your hard work but also your pelvic floor muscles, which stretch their length to previously unimaginable proportions.
Performing pelvic floor exercises can greatly ease pregnancy symptoms and speed postpartum recovery. Squeeze the pelvic floor muscles for up to 10 seconds, and try to accomplish three sets of 20, three times each day.
Having healthy bladder- and uterus-supporting muscles reduce the chances of the bladder and uterine issues and ease pregnancy and postpartum symptoms.